Saturday, November 10, 2007

Quarter Day, part 2

Look who came to buy some quarters from me! My very own Uncle Tony. He was just as surprised to see me as I was to see him. After dozens and dozens of sales to crazy coin collectors who came from all over, it was nice to see a familiar face. Thanks for the picture Tony. I'm glad you had your camera phone.

Apparently, he's a numismatist. Look it up.

So we sold about $15,000 worth of these collector coin sets. People were handing me 20s and 50s and 100s like they didn't even care. And they were weird about their commemorative quarter sets. If the pointless red stamp on the back was smeared just a smidge, they felt gypped.

Zions Bank gave away quarters and little green piggy banks to all the schoolchildren. They were also selling rolls of quarters outside. Apparently one lady came in with a roll of Utah Quarters (worth $10 I believe) and wanted to buy a collector coin set. Seriously, she already had 40 Utah quarters right there. I know I'm not a coin collector, but trading 40 quarters for 2 quarters doesn't seem like good business sense to me.

It was a lot of fun though. The governor spoke outside at the ceremony and he was really cute with all the grade school kids. Speaking of cute grade school kids, check this out. I dedicate this youtube video to Maria. I must confess, it made me a little teary just because they were so dang cute.



So cute. The event would not have been the same without all the kids. They were so excited to be there. Here are some pictures from the event:

2 comments:

Ilene said...

Remember when a quarter was really exciting?

Oh wait, it is still exciting to all sorts of people.

I do love a quarter, though. I always try to spend those last because they are just more valuable then a nickel and two dimes, you know?

TUG said...

What a true blessing to be apart of this piece of history!