Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Fitting Room Failure

I usually shop by myself. I don't know if I prefer it that way or it just happens that way. Regardless, I'm not used to soliciting the opinions of others when it comes to what I wear. I usually trust myself not to look ridiculous.

This past weekend I went up to Park City with Lisa and Kelly for a "girls weekend." I like to call it a "get away" though because just about all my weekends are "girls weekends."

First stop: the Tanger outlets at Kimball Junction. We tried on a lot of clothes. My sister-in-law Kelly and her sister Katie have a number system when it comes to rating each other's appearance in clothes. It's basic, really: you rate each other on a 1-10 scale. There are no specific criteria or elements that skew the final number such as price or extreme lack of that particular color in your wardrobe. It's all about how you look.

I'm afraid I didn't score very high on my selections. Lisa and Kelly came out in their prospective purchases and it was all "Ooh! I really like that!" and "That's a great color on you" and then they smiled and retreated back behind their fitting room door satisfied with their options. But when I came out with something on it was, "Eh, it's OK." or "Hmm...I'm not crazy about that." Kelly gave some pants I tried on at J. Crew a "7" which apparently doesn't justify a purchase.

I did get a high score from both of them on a brown sweater vest which I bought, and some trouser jeans which I didn't buy (too expensive).

Here are some comments from my sister during our time at the outlets:

"That's too boxy"
"Don't get the white one. Get the black one."
"It looks like you taped your chest down -- like Cristina Ricci in Now and Then"
"No, Laura, don't even look at those shoes! Nothing with stitching on the toe"

Fortunately I can take it from her. I'll never forget last month when I met her at Fashion Place Mall. She called when I was trying on clothes at Nordstrom. I told her to meet me up there. When I stepped out of the dressing room she took one look at me and her face got all scrunched up and she said, "No! Laur -- not that shirt!" and I was like, "Um, I came in this shirt. It's mine." And then she had to check her balance before she fell over laughing. I'm not going to lie, I was laughing just as hard as she was.

The truth is, I would have purchased a couple shirts and some pants at the outlets had I not a personal shopper negating my choices. It makes me wonder if I walk around looking like a 7 and people just don't say anything. At least I know who to trust.

21 comments:

SRA said...

I had the same experience with some girls in the ward a few months ago. I was like: "What? Do I have the worst taste in the world or something?" Made me kind of mad/frustrated/a titch offended...

Maria said...

I think we all walk around as a 7. It has become painfully obvious I'm about a 4 in New York standards....

Annie said...

I think you need new siblings. I had roommates who would always tell me that I looked like a 7 when I thought I looked like a 9 at least. Then I got new roommates who told me I looked like 9. It worked. So, new siblings it is.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Ouch Annie. I'd rather be honest and not have Laura waste her money. Lar, the specific choices you made were sketchy items, a SILK shirt in TURQUOISE. Ok, it's already a long shot. Only certain people can pull it off. The WHITE skirt was adorable, but you could SEE THROUGH IT to the pockets, HENCE, get the black one. And you admit, the shoes you picked out were like the ones from Payless. ENOUGH said.

Stick with your sibling.

Laura Lee said...

Yeah, I'm keeping my sister and Kelly. Especially when the time comes to get a wedding dress.

I liked that shirt in turquoise. It just didn't fit very well.

I admit the shoes weren't that great. I probably only have about 4 pairs of shoes that I LOVE. The rest are just functional. If Stacy and Clinton gave me $5000 I would totally replace my shoes.

boneck family said...

so i was reading your comment Laura and i recognized the names Stacy and Clinton! i was shocked! i shouldnt know those people! Rania watches that show sometimes and i sit and make fun of it for a few minutes and then get up and leave. i need to pay attention to what i watch!

_clint

Lisa Marie Trent said...

Stacy and Clinton wouldn't give your shoes to a toothless hooker.

Kell's Belles said...

Ooh, yeah, think of all the money we saved you! And as long as you don't walk around wearing a furry tail with bells, I think you're good. As for the wedding dress, let's make a pact right now that the words "sheer" and "mesh" won't be involved!

dre said...

you know I hate shopping with girls too! No offense to anyone and I love all my friends. But I hate looking at what they want and I hate having them wait when I find something I love. Really I think a lot of people want to be different so they stand out as an individual so you should wear what you want.

Cameron's Corner said...

I laughed out loud at the shirt one. "This mine. I came in this." Seriously! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

It's good that you're not offended easily.

Ilene said...

I hope you got rid of those nasty black shoes you blogged about so long ago...

Brown Sweater Vest? I'm sure it is cute if it got approved by Lisa and Kelly but all I can picture is Mr. Rogers.

Jergs Family said...

Laura,
You always look great! I don't really like shopping with other people either. Too much pressure. See you on Monday at Entre'Act. Are you going to wear something new? Oh yes, the new black dress!! Yeah for you.

Hilda said...

I need girls like that for when I go shopping. I never know if what I'm buying is really great. Although I do always think you look good and very stylish.

Laura Lee said...

Monica,

If you were to rate my appearance in my concert black dress I would get a 3 -- maybe. The fact that I have to wear a shade shirt under it for the time being took it from a 5 to a 3.

Holly ( the bad daughter) said...

You always look great Laura... I don't like shopping with other people period. It's too distracting.

Jergs Family said...

Oh Laura,

You underestimate the beauty of the black concert dress! And don't forget the dangly earrings. You are going to be a knock-out! I'll see you on Monday night.

Scott said...

Laura, you always look like a 10, even in a T-shirt and jeans.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

nice one scott. Monica- personally, I think all ushers should wear the good old sequined jackets from Season One of the Utah Chamber Artists. Those are still my favorite.

Jergs Family said...

Oh yes. Those lovely sequined jackets. Where are they? We should so resurrect those! Will I see you on Monday, Lisa?

Tom said...

I've always thought you have good fashion sense. The word "classy" comes to mind. However, I could always trust my sisters to give good advice in this area, even when it came unsolicited.

Unknown said...

I have never once seen you looking like a 7. Last Sunday, I was looking at your cute outfit, and it was just a blue skirt and top, but I was thinking in my head that you make everything look good and classy. I'm pretty jealous.