Saturday, September 26, 2009

Foods of Durham Past: Chocolate Crinkle Cookies

If you were lucky to have a mom like mine, you had freshly baked cookies a lot. These weren't my favorite (I'd probably rather have chocolate chip) but I think my mom loved these because she made them whenever she had a chocolate craving -- well, these or brownies. But these are practically brownies. In fact, I remember my mom making brownies and sifting powdered sugar over them. So, pretty much the same thing in cute, pretty roundish forms.

I don't think this is the recipe my mom used though. Hers were more flat and fudgy. These are more puffy and cakey, but still, "crinkly".

Aren't they pretty? I got this recipe from the Joy of Baking. And yes, I totally ripped off their photo idea by photographing mine on the cooling rack too.

Would I eat them again? Yes.
Would I make them again? Yes.
Would I feed them to friends? Absolutely.

4 comments:

Annie said...

As the friend whom you fed your chocolate crinkle cookie to, they were wonderful, and I'm stealing the recipe.

SRA said...

Yes, I was then and am now still the beneficiary of a mom who loves to bake. Such delicious memories, eh? She still sends me cookies, brownies, etc. every once in awhile. :)

Ilene said...

Yum.

I just tried a different chocolate chip recipe from American's Test Kitchen (gasp! I never do that). So, so good. Let's do a cookie exchange soon.

Lisa Marie Trent said...

those were next to the Reeses peanut butter cups.

I guess I didn't choose wisely..