Friday, April 01, 2011

Lower Bells

The weather was gorgeous today. And I think it's the only gorgeous day we get for a little while. I probably appreciated it all the more because all the days leading up to it were cold. I don't mind cloudy, I'm just sick of cold.

I attended the funeral of a friend today who died after being caught in an avalanche in Spring City. He was a photographer and intense outdoorsman and would have thought it really lame that so many people spent a day like today inside at his funeral, so I decided I could honor him by going on a little hike in the afternoon. I hiked Lower Bells which is just off Wasatch Boulevard by my parents' house in Sandy.  It's a super short and easy hike, but it made me realize how out of shape I am right now.

I took some photos with my little camera.






I only met Garrett last October, but it didn't take long to see that he was an amazing guy. He moved into my ward on Capitol Hill with his newlywed wife Molly. In November I was released from my calling as Gospel Doctrine Instructor and put into the Young Women Presidency. When the bishop asked me who I thought would be a good replacement for me in the Sunday School, Garrett was the first name I mentioned. The bishop smiled and said, "He, uh...yeah he's an interesting guy."

Molly and I served in the YW Presidency. She and Garrett really made me feel at home in the ward which is funny because I had been there longer than they had. Garrett invited me over for lunch one Sunday after church which I thought was really nice because I'm usually the one inviting people over. I feel bad I didn't take the chance to return the favor.

For the past month or so he taught our "teacher improvement course" in Sunday School. I guess the bishop finally realized how much he could teach us.


His wife of only 8 months gave an amazing talk today. Garrett was always traveling for work, shooting photographs all around the world. I think he was gone just about every other weekend. The last time I saw him was two weeks ago at a church activity raising money for the young men and women. Molly and I were hurriedly preparing food in the kitchen. She asked me if I would finish everything so she could go eat with her husband. I'm glad I did.

3 comments:

SRA said...

I wonder if he bore his testimony when I was with you for your sacrament meeting at the beginning of February. I remember at least one newlywed guy getting up to talk.

He was mission comps with a guy I work with, who went to the funeral too. Must have been a pretty cool guy. Bless him and his family.

Ang said...

I've heard so much about him from so many different people. I just ache for his wife. I can't imagine what she must be feeling. One thing I know is that the Capitol Hill 2nd ward will do everything they can for her. How I love that ward and the people in it.

Christi said...

This post makes me miss Garrett and Molly although I only got to know them for a few weeks in the ward. They both touched me as well. It really makes me smile and cry because at that fundraiser I told Ryan to go ask Garrett to sit with us and that was before Molly came out of the kitchen. That was when we finally were becoming friends. I miss seeing them both around. My heart breaks for Molly. Loved reading your blog. Glad we can become facebook friends and sad you will be out of town for our mix and match!