A photographer currently showing at my gallery sent me this photograph that he took, simply because he thought I'd like it. I love that, and I love this.
Besides the fact that it's a great photograph (color, composition, etc), I like the context. The construction downtown is a constant complaint of city dwellers and those who visit downtown. Besides the few detours and the limited parking, it hasn't really bothered me, I'm excited for the end result.
What I love about this photo is the way the city is attempting to make downtown a pleasurable experience for the pedestrian in the meantime. I know there's usually money motivating the city and the Downtown Alliance to "dress up downtown" (I should know, I go to the meetings every month), but it still makes me smile.
Here are some other things I've seen recently that make me smile:
- People humming along to choirs singing Christmas carols
- A guy running up to a door so he can open it for the lady a few yards ahead of them
- People smiling as they read a text message
- Little kids holding hands as they cross the street
- When a guy moves to the street facing side of the sidewalk as he’s walking with a girl – to protect her from traffic
- People shoveling off the snow covering the car next to theirs while they’re at it
- Thank you cards in the mail
- People with a full grocery cart allowing the person behind them to cut ahead and purchase their one item.