Monday, July 05, 2010

I'll show you how my garden grows.

I've had several friends / family ask how my garden is doing. Honestly, I'm worried about the brussel sprouts which seem to have been taken over by a disease or some sort of insect. I planted one plant inside my magic square and about 5 others outside the square, and the one inside the square is doing much better than the others. Way to go Mel's soil. I attribute it to you. So far I've harvested lettuce, spinach, cilantro, and broccoli. Oh, and LOTS of strawberries.

Below we have a little white blossom which I hope
will be a red bell pepper one day.


And here we have leeks that are growing
much more slowly than I expected.

My onions seem to be doing well. Sometimes I can't differentiate
between these and the leeks. Good thing I put a little sign.

I agree with what Ilene told me on the phone yesterday. Tomatoes are
the whole reason you plant a garden. Wait...Ilene I remember you being the roommate who didn't like tomatoes. Now I'm confused.

Red romaine. I love how I won't have to buy lettuce for the rest of
the season as long as I keep taking the outer leaves of my
romaine and it keeps growing up and up and up...

Mmm...strawberries. I have to admit, this strawberry patch
was in my plot before I got here.

Hey little buddy! You're the cutest bitty
corn cob I've ever seen.

This spinach. Man. I wish I could keep it around all season, but I think
it's season is coming to a close. I eat a lot of spinach -- okay,
I drink a lot of spinach.
So this is one of the most
economical things I planted.

I don't know what I expected from my broccoli. I think I just expected more. I took one big bunch home before it started to flower and now whenever I'm at my garden I just pinch off these little shoots and I eat them while I'm there. Still good.

I planted this red leaf later in the season. I haven't really harvested any yet. I'll do that on Sunday when I feed guests who I promised a
"garden harvest meal." Mostly it will be a salad that I harvest.

The insects got some of my cabbage leaves, but I don't blame them.
They look delicious.

My parsley is finally catching on to the idea that
it's supposed to GROW.

ONE little lavender shoot. Maybe once I cut down the red romaine
it won't feel so dwarfed and it can work on it's confidence a little more.

5 comments:

Saule Cogneur said...

My parents' garden has been really slow this year. I think they don't get enough sun on their plot. Yours seems to be doing much better. Their strawberries are struggling, and their corn is behind.

I am way impressed.

Nasher said...

I think broccoli is more of a fall plant. At least that is when I remember planting it in Ag class.

Kell's Belles said...

How's the mint doing?

Laura Lee said...

The peppermint is doing fine. It's actually on my porch. I planted the orange mint that the guy gave me in the garden and it seems ok. We'll see if it grows any bigger!

Rose white said...

Your garden looks great! You have healthy plants and I love the way you named your leeks from the onions. I also do that to recognize my plants since I am only new in food gardening. I am also planning a “garden harvest meal” in my first harvest. Since my lettuce are growing well. I’m planning to do salad for my whole family. Thanks for the post!